Curry Class Note

Barbara-Ann Adcock

Barbara-Ann Adcock (B.S. ’88 Elem Ed) Barbara Adcockis among 213 educators across the nation named by President Barack Obama on August 22 as recipients of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.””

“When anyone receives an award like this, it is not all of their own doing.  I have been very fortunate to have received my beginning education in teaching from UVA’s Curry School of Education where I learned that creating a student based, inquiry-based classroom is best for my students.  Throughout my career I worked to do that.

“I was also very fortunate to work in a district which accepted and supported innovation in teaching. My teammates, other teachers and administrators have encouraged me and supported me to keep growing as an educator. The students also motivated me to keep learning new strategies. I wouldn’t be getting this award if it weren’t for my village, which began with Curry and now includes Powhatan County.”

The award — regarded as the nation’s top honor for mathematics and science teachers — recognizes teachers who develop and implement high-quality instructional programs that improve student learning. Adcock, formerly an elementary school teacher at Pocahontas Elementary School in Powhatan County, earned the presidential award for K-6 science. She is currently the STEM Coach for Powhatan County Public Schools.

Share Your Success