Curry Class Note

Charles R. Heaton

Charles R. Heaton (Ph.D. ’10 Admin & Supv) is celebrating one year as principal at McKinley TK-8 School in Pasadena, Calif. He was recruited to turn the school around after years of declining enrollment, low morale, and overdue construction projects. Now McKinley is being recognized as a Demonstration and Lab site for the district and is being recognized for its excellence. Heaton was featured on his anniversary as the Spotlight Principal in PUSD Today:

“As far back as I can remember, I wanted to be an educator, said McKinley Principal Charles Heaton, Ph.D. “When my sister wanted me to play school with her, I was the principal even at eight years old.”

Heaton credits his grandfather and mother for teaching him to approach school differently than his young peers and to develop his leadership skills. With their guidance, he made the connection between something he enjoyed and something he did well.

Today, Heaton’s leadership style is described as visionary. As Principal of McKinley School, he acknowledges that the last year was one of tremendous growth for everyone. The leadership team conducted a full review of McKinley’s protocols and procedures in order to ensure a safe school environment. Heaton noted the team’s ongoing commitment to student’s success and safety continues to be a high priority. Read the full article.

Share Your Success