Curry Class Note

David Gesualdi

David Gesualdi (M.Ed. ’08 Kines) is a National Finalist (top 10) for the 2016 Fishman Prize for Superlative Classroom Practice. This prize sponsored by The New Teacher Project shines a spotlight on great teachers across the country. It awards $25,000 and a seat in a one-of-a-kind summer residency to four winners. Here’s what they said about David:

“You might not always associate health and physical education with challenging academics. But in David Gesualdi’s classroom, students engage in challenging texts, connected assignments, and self-directed instruction, all with the aim of understanding and attaining physical wellbeing and healthy habits to last a lifetime. It’s clear that David has had a major influence on his students’ lives—for the last three years of his (thus far) nine-year career, he has achieved a rating of highly effective by DCPS.”

David Gesualdi's Curry Memory

“I wanted to thank [Dr. Martin Block and Dr. Luke Kelly] for my experience at U.Va back in 2008.  I look back on those memories fondly, and I strongly believe that your modeling and demeanor has rubbed off on me, as there has never been a physical and health educator to reach the top 100, let alone the top 10 nationally.  This experience has been very humbling and rewarding, and I attribute my teaching success to the strong educational and inclusion-foundation approach that I received at U.Va.  Thank you again, and kudos to the Curry School– From my knowledge, this is the first time that a Curry Grad and an APE grad has made it to the national finals as well!!!

Share Your Success