Curry Class Note

Joseph Cipp

Joseph Cipp (M.Ed. ’72) and his sons were featured in the Long Island Advance.  Before retiring, Joe coached Bellport High School to five Long Island Championships: 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005 and 2010. His son, Sonny Cipp, is the youngest coach to win a Long Island Championship when he directed Longwood High School to the 1998 crown. In December 2015 Joe’s other son Jeff led the Longwood Lions to a 47-28 victory over previously undefeated Farmingdale to win the 2015 Class I Long Island Championship.

Sonny and Jeff both played for their dad. They learned his example and followed in his footsteps.
“They know the work ethic involved,” said Joe Cipp. “They know the basics, a lot of hard work and [studying] film work. [Football] is a big part of their lives. They don’t look at a clock.”

“After graduating from UVA the experience (degree) helped me to start  my career as an educator, was head football coach (still hold the public school record for most wins in Suffolk County & a few others) and finished my career as Superintendent of Schools before retiring in 2010. As they say ‘It is a Wonderful Life’ made possible by being a graduate of UVA.”

Share Your Success