Curry Class Note

Deon Louw

Deon Louw (M.Ed. ’83, Ed.D. ’89 Admin & Supv) after completing his doctoral program (under the knowledgeable supervision of Dr Frank Flora) in 1989, returned to South Africa and was appointed principal of Camps Bay High, in Cape Town. “At the same time John Gibbon (M.Ed. ’69, Ed.D. ’76 Admin & Supv) and I were appointed to run the post-graduate courses Educational Management and Educational Leadership at the University of Cape Town. Over the next 15 years we continued to share our Curry School skills and knowledge as we co-facilitated weekend workshops in all the major centers of southern Africa. In 2001 I was appointed by the minister of education to the Commission to Revise the National Curriculum for grades 1 to 9. Since 2004 I have been an independent education consultant, initially to the provincial education department in Cape Town and currently to the Kazakhstan government in central Asia. Based in the capital, Astana, I work with Kazakh trainers who facilitate workshops (designed by Cambridge University) for introducing distributive leadership skills and collaborative teaching methods across the country. Every day I am reminded, with gratitude, of the skills and insights I learned while at the Curry School.”

Share Your Success