Curry Class Note

Dorothy Drake

Dorothy Drake (M.Ed. ’86 Admin & Supv) Dorothy Drake in front of Sphinxis a retired elementary teacher from Henrico County Schools in Virginia. “After retirement, I was invited to become an ambassador for People to People. This experience afforded me the opportunity to travel to other countries. Though the delegation spent the first days visiting the university and schools, the highlight was always Cultural Day. I am sharing pictures to attest to my visit to Egypt to see the Great Pyramids of Giza and the temple of the mysterious Sphinx, an ancient figure shrouded in legend and mystery.

“In 2008, I accompanied the delegation to Vietnam and Cambodia. We visited the Cu Chi Tunnels and learned the story of life underground as told by the Dorothy Drake and new friendpeople who lived the experience. We also had a unique opportunity to enjoy a boat ride on the Mekong River and gained a real perspective of the Mekong Delta.

“My last trip, 2010, was to India and included the cities of Delhi, New Delhi, Jaipur, and Agra. Our final stop in Agra was the Taj Mahal, a monument to love intricately designed and constructed in pristine white marble. A mausoleum build by Shadjehan for his queen Mumtaz Mahal, the Taj Mahal is said to have taken 22 years and 20,000 craftsmen to construct.

Dorothy drake in front of Taj Mahal“A trip to South Africa is being planned for September 2013. Look for pictures and to hear about Cultural Day!”

Share Your Success